Warning of the collapse of the situation, Guterres again calls for an end to the bloodshed in Gaza
The United Nations and international humanitarian organizations warned of the accelerating collapse of the situation in Gaza in light of the continued Israeli aggression against residential neighborhoods and health and service facilities, which led to the death of more than 8,000 martyrs.
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said on Sunday that the situation in the Gaza Strip is deteriorating rapidly, calling again for a ceasefire to put an end to the "nightmare" of bloodshed.
"The situation in Gaza is getting more desperate hour by hour," Guterres said during his visit to the Nepalese capital, expressing his regret for "Israel intensifying its military operations instead of declaring a humanitarian truce supported by the international community in light of the dire need for it."
The UN Secretary-General stressed that "the number of civilians killed and wounded is completely unacceptable."
The Israeli aggression against Gaza led to the death of more than 8,000 Palestinians, nearly half of whom were children, in addition to huge numbers of wounded.
"The world is witnessing a humanitarian catastrophe occurring right under our watch," Guterres said.
Last Friday, the Secretary-General of the United Nations said that the humanitarian system in the Gaza Strip faces complete collapse, with unimaginable consequences for more than two million civilians.
Guterres had previously strongly condemned the Israeli aggression against Gaza and said that the Hamas attack on October 7 did not occur in a vacuum, but he returned to say that his statements had been distorted.
The Israeli aggression led to the displacement of more than one million people to escape the bombing.
Yesterday, Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Galant announced that the war with Hamas had “entered a new phase.”
The United Nations warned on Sunday of the collapse of "public order" in the Gaza Strip after the looting of a number of its centers, and with the slow entry of humanitarian aid.
Yesterday, President of the International Committee of the Red Cross, Mirjana Spolijaric, expressed her shock at the level of “unbearable human suffering,” denouncing “a catastrophic failure that the world should not allow.”
The international president of Doctors Without Borders, Christos Christou, said, "In the face of continuous and terrifying bombing, people have nowhere to go. There must be an immediate ceasefire."
Backgrounds of flood and aggression:
It is noteworthy that Israel was established on occupied Arab land in 1948, and annexed Jerusalem and the West Bank in 1967. Throughout its 70 years, it has continued to kill and arrest Palestinians, expand settlement activity in the West Bank, launch military operations in Gaza, and attack Islamic and Christian sanctities in Jerusalem.
On October 7, the Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades - the military arm of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) - and other Palestinian resistance factions launched Operation Al-Aqsa Flood against the Israeli occupation, and have so far killed more than 1,400 Israelis.
The Palestinian resistance also captured more than 200 Israelis, and announced that it wanted to exchange them for more than 6,000 Palestinian prisoners in occupation prisons.
For its part, Israel continues its aggression against Gaza, bombing homes, schools, hospitals and mosques, which led to the death of more than 8,000 Palestinians, most of them women and children, in addition to wounding 12,000, destroying entire neighborhoods, and displacing most of the population.
Israeli military operations in Gaza received broad support from the United States, which sent two aircraft carriers to the Mediterranean Sea “to deter any attempt to expand the conflict.”